Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pieces of our Hearts.. and Minds

A few of my good friends have lost their dogs recently.

My Bailey is 13 and on a small handful of drugs to make sure he's not hurting too much.  I am fully aware he will not be around forever.

When I was 22, I learned one of the hardest lessons a dog lover will ever learn and had to make the choice to put down an only 8 month old puppy I raised and co-owned.  He's the number one reason I am so completely adamant about proper breeding practices and the reason I will ALWAYS put health before beauty.

As an atheist, I sometimes find it difficult to find the right thing to say or the right way to impart my feelings in these kinds of situations.  I don't believe in heaven or a rainbow bridge or any of the other things people will often reference when a beloved pet passes.  It's certainly not that I think there is complete finality in death.  I don't believe that at all.  It's just not my faith that lends to the idea of an afterlife.

The human brain is a most amazing thing.   Because of the ability of the human mind to retain memories and voluntarily revisit those memories, it stands to reason that as long as we continue to remember someone - they can never be truly gone.  And the amazing thing about memory is that we can choose to remember the most important things about those we love - what brought them joy, the special connection we had with them, the favorite things we did together...
    
Fact:  Every time you recall a memory or have a new thought, a new connection is created in your brain. 

I find that this very connection is precisely how those we love remain a part of us.

I may have learned some very important and difficult lessons from Cain's death, but the way I remember him is the way I imagine he would want to be remembered. 

CainWings
A friend made this for me shortly after Cain was released from his pain.

It's not that I believe Cain to necessarily be an angel or to be waiting for me in the afterlife, but that when I remember him - I remember a happy bouncy puppy.  I remember him free from the pain his joints came to cause him.  And in many ways he is an angel.  The lessons he has taught me will continue to inform my decisions and I truly hope that his life will serve as the spring board for the long and healthy lives of many dogs to come in my life.  

The same goes for Bailey.  I am very fortunate to still have him with me, but the number of lives he will continue to touch long after he is gone as a result of the lessons he has taught me are innumerable.  He has changed every man, woman, and dog to ever meet him and because of that he will live forever.

DSCN4179
Imparting his wisdom on young Mendel

Recently this quote was shared on a list I follow, and I loved it so much that I decided to combine it with my most favorite Mendel picture.

Click on Mendel to view full sized


Remembering Travler... doing one of his favorite things.

28889_1328904176412_1045185052_30737697_2394932_n

And Dora, who gave everything she had... because that's what dogs do.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments! If you have an account, please use it so I can put names with comments. :)