Sunday, September 20, 2009

It's begining to look a lot like fall...

Ok, so, the weather is not fall-ish yet. It was actually about 70 today. But, the activities certainly are. The Packers are back in action, and that means a whole lot of unproductive Sundays.

I've found the best way to avoid being completely useless during football is by pealing something. Apples, potatoes, whatever I can come up with for cooking once the game is done. This week it was apples.

Yesterday, Deanne and I stopped at The Apple Store. I got a big bag of Paula Red 2nds. I like Paula Reds. These were so nice and ripe some were even a little hard to peal. I pealed, and pealed, and pealed... and the Packers lost. But, at least I still had my apples.

P1010070


My first cooking adventure was a recipe from Pioneer Woman's site. I will not be providing a link to the recipe, because then you will see just how badly I messed it up. :o) I didn't let the butter brown in the skillet with the apples enough before pouring in the batter. Oops.

I attempted to put it in a pan and cook it a little more to brown it. I don't know if I made it better or worse.


P1010064
This creation contains a total of nearly 3 sticks of butter.

I don't think I'll make that one again, but it was worth trying.


The next attempt was caramel apple bread pudding. I found the recipe on Tasty Kitchen.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/caramel-apple-bread-pudding/
The original recipe appears to be an attempt at keeping it as healthy as possible by using low fat milk and egg replacer.
Forget that noise!! I used whole milk, real eggs, and every other delicious alternative I could. Cuz that's the kinda girl I am. It's basically a bread pudding base with diced apples, and caramel poured over the top. I'll make some whipped cream for the top, and sprinkle with pecans, when I eat it. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

I'll pause for a moment so you can take it all in.












P1010066













Done? Are you sure? You can scroll back up and look again. I won't judge you.
To be honest, I haven't even tasted this yet. I'm just enjoying looking at it so far... and dreaming about it.


Finally, with the left-over apples, I made applesauce.

P1010068

Mmmm... just look how beautiful and buttery yellow it is. Delicious!



Now, excuse me, while I go gorge myself on apple-y delights.

Love ya,
Lioness

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments! If you have an account, please use it so I can put names with comments. :)