Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Happy Food

Some people call it comfort food.  To me, that seems like a strange way of putting it.
What if I don't need to be comforted?

I prefer to refer to it as Happy food.  Well, because it just makes me wicked happy.

This is my ultimate Happy food.  I remember my Mom making this once when I was sick.  It might have been after I had ear surgery, I'm not sure.  It was literally a big dose of happy in a bowl.  I don't know where exactly the recipe came from, but I do know I've never seen it anywhere since.

This recipe is also great of you end up with this:

Photobucket

They're not moldy yet, but they're sure not nice and soft anymore either.  That means they're perfect for bread pudding.  If you let bread get hard just so you have an excuse to make this... it's ok, I won't tell.



Queen's Bread Pudding

4c toasted bread cubes
1qt hot milk  (1qt = 4c)
3tbsp butter
4 eggs separated
1 dash salt
1c sugar
1/2tsp vanilla

1/4c sugar (meringue)
2tsp grated lemon peel
1/2c jam

Mix bread cubes, milk, butter, & vanilla and let soak for 10 min.
Beat egg yolks & salt until light.  Add 1c sugar & beat until lemon colored.
Mix together bread mixture and egg mixture.
Pour into 2qt buttered baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

Photobucket

I know, it looks delicious already.  But just wait... it's about to get crazy in here!

Now spread the jam on top.

Photobucket

PSA:  Remember... Buy local, people!  It's delish... and it's a good thing to do.

Photobucket
I love these from Wild Rose, WI.  I found them at Woodman's.

Now for the Meringue!
Beat the snot out of the egg whites and 1/4c sugar.

Photobucket

If you went to the Shirley cooking school, you will know that these are the perfect stiff peaks for Meringue.
Photobucket

If you happen to actually have lemon peel to mix in, that's great.  Or, you could just be like me and cheat by just putting a couple drops of lemon juice in the mix instead.  :o)

Photobucket

Now, bake at 350 for about 10 more minutes.  Until tips are a lovely golden brown.




 Photobucket


ENJOY!


Love ya,
Lioness








No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all comments! If you have an account, please use it so I can put names with comments. :)