Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Summer School

I'm taking summer classes this semester in order to finish up my degree.  I don't have much nice to say about my online classes, but my on-campus class is great.  Even better is the fact that I actually have to go out to campus.

At UWGB we complain a lot that our campus is so 'removed from civilization'.  It's nothing like Madison where you're right in the heart of the action - it's really quite isolated.  This can be a bad thing, but it also can be really great.  We have a large arboretum laced with hiking/biking trails and full of wildlife.  It truly is a beautiful place.  Sadly, many people don't take the time to enjoy it - especially not during Spring and Fall semesters.

Last week I saw a doe in the field I walk through to go to class, but I didn't have my camera.  I asked her nicely to come back and see me this week when I have my camera back from my parents.  She kindly obliged.

Photobucket

You can't see it in this picture, but she actually had a friend with her off to the right.  I didn't see the second one until I started walking away to go to class.  
Last week she was within 20 yards of me eating under a big tree and actually craned her neck around the tree to watch me walk away down the trail.

During break time from my class I headed over to the courtyard of MAC Hall to take some pics.  I LOVE the grapevine growing up the pergola over the benches in the courtyard.  Someday, I simply must have a pergola!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some Morning Glories are fighting their way through the grapevine, too.  I love Morning Glories!

Photobucket

Photobucket

There was also some coreopsis in the courtyard garden in full bloom.  I personally like the ones with the burnt orange centers, but these were pretty.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Purple Coneflower, too!

Photobucket

There are lots of gorgeous Cat Tails in the marshy areas.

Photobucket

Then, I decided I would crash through the woods a little to see what I could find.  Considering I was wearing crocks, I'm not sure this was the brightest idea I had all day.

Photobucket



Photobucket

I've been very jealous of the 'bumble bee pictures' I see other people taking.  I'd never tried taking one before.  I also didn't have a clue how to get my darn camera to take one.  I messed with some of the settings for a bit and miraculously figured it out.

Photobucket

WOAH!  I've never been able to take a picture like that before.  Very cool!
I just love this color pink!

Photobucket

So, I started stalking bumble bees.

Photobucket

Darn it bee, come over to this side!

Photobucket

WOOOHOOOO!  I did it!

Photobucket

Ok, now I'm addicted.

Right about here is when I realized I was standing on an ant hill and I had ants climbing all over my feet and in my shoes.  Gross!  Relocate!

Photobucket


Look how cute they are!

Photobucket

Ok, really, I can't stop.

Photobucket

Oohhh!  Coooool!

Photobucket

Last one, I SWEAR!

Photobucket

Ok, sorry.  
There's cool stuff EVERYWHERE!!

Photobucket

Strange.

Photobucket

Ohhh  preeeettty!
Photobucket

Even the dead stuff is cool

Photobucket

Grass is cool, too.
Photobucket


And THAT, ladies and gentlemen, is how going to school becomes NOT boring!

Go enjoy nature!
~Lioness










2 comments:

  1. I've always been really interested in Nature, but having a camera makes it all the more interesting; trying to get those up close pictures:) A good zoom is fun too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love morning glories, and for some reason I completely forgot to plant some this year. Waaah. Great photos! and thanks for stopping by my blog, too.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all comments! If you have an account, please use it so I can put names with comments. :)